Movies 2018: Disney Edition

Movies 2018: Disney Edition

Today I have the first part of my annual upcoming movies post. Part one, if you didn't read the title, is about Disney movies. It looks like an exciting (and most likely profitable) year for Disney. And with the new Fox deal, who knows what might come in the future.


Black Panther- February 16

Story: Black Panther returns to his home of Wakanda only to find someone is challenging his throne. He must fight for his kingdom and the world.

Cast: Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa or Black Panther, Michael B. Jordan as Erik Killmonger, Lupita Nyong'o as Nakia, Martin Freeman as Everett Ross, and Andy Serkis Ulysses Klaue.

My Thoughts: I'm looking forward to seeing Black Panther at home and not trying to kill my sweet Bucky. The whole world of Wakanda looks amazing. It will be great to see a country based off of African culture. Also, Lupita Nyong'o's character looks completely kick butt. I want to see it all.


Avengers: Infinity War- March 4

Story: The MCU comes to a head as the Avengers must rejoin to face the biggest threat to the universe- Thanos. They must stop him from using the Infinity Stones before destroys everything. Everything has lead up to this.

Cast: Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, Chris Pratt as Peter Quill, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff, Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff, and basically every other actor and character in the MCU so far. All your favorites are there.

My Thoughts: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! No, I'm not excited at all. I've only been looking forward to this film for years. I'm also terrified. I want to hold all the characters and keep them safe. Please don't kill Cap. Or Bucky. Or anyone. (Even though I have a terrible feeling they will.) But beyond exciting, it will also be interesting to see how they bring together everything from every film to create one monster movie.


A Wrinkle in Time- March 9

Story: When Meg's father goes missing, she must travel the universe to find him. With the help of her little brother and school friend, she is sent by three mysterious women to find him and stop the most evil force in the universe.

Cast: Storm Reid as Meg, Levi Miller as Calvin, Chris Pine as Dr. Murry, Reese Witherspoon as Mrs. Whatsit, Oprah Winfrey as Mrs. Which, and Mindy Kaling as Mrs. Who.

My Thoughts: I've loved the book for a long time. In fact, it was one of my first introductions to science fiction. So I'm looking forward to seeing how the movie is going to be. It looks pretty good so far and I love how they made Meg biracial.


Solo: A Star Wars Story- May 25

Story: Solo gives us a look at the background of the famous smuggler and pilot, Han Solo. Where he came from, how he got to the place he was, and (hopefully) how he acquired the Millennium Falcon.

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, Emilia Clark as Kira, and Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian. (There are others, but their roles haven't been announced yet.)

My Thoughts: It's no secret that Han Solo is one of my favorite characters from Star Wars. I'm excited to see a whole movie centered around him. (But who came up with that name? Boring.) Like everyone else, I'm suspicious of their casting, but I'm willing to give him a chance. The whole movie sounds awesome, though I'd like to see a trailer soon.


The Incredibles 2: June 15

Story: An official summery hasn't been announced yet, but they said that it's going to be more focused on Elastagirl. It will also have to do with raising kids, especially Jack-Jack, who just got his powers. It also picks up right where the first film left off.

Cast: Craig T. Nelson as Bob Parr, Helen Hunter as Helen Parr, Samuel L. Jackson as Frozone, and Sarah Vowell as Violet Parr.

My Thoughts: The Incredibles was one of Pixar's best to me. I love the family themes and values they have in it. Thus, when they announced a second one, I was over the moon. I can't wait to see where they take the story. I also appreciate how they didn't rush into a sequel, wanting a story as good as the first one before they made a second.


Antman and the Wasp- July 6

Story: Scott Lang has to balance fatherhood and superhero duties as he takes on a new mission with Wasp.

Cast: Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, Evangeline Lily as Hope van Dyne, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, and Michael Pina as Luis.

My Thoughts: While Antman had its problems, I still enjoyed it. Mostly because Scott was just so normal. It'll be interesting to see how things are now, after the events of Civil War and maybe Infinity War. I'm also hoping Wasp has more of a personality in this movie, because I'm excited to see her. She's the first female to have her name in the movie in the MCU.


Christopher Robin- August 3

Story: Christopher Robin is now grown up and in need of Winnie the Pooh's help again to remember the joys of childhood.

Cast: Ewan McGregor as Christopher Robin, Hayley Atwell as Evelyn, Mark Gatiss as Giles, and Jim Cummings as Winnie the Pooh.

My Thoughts: I'm not sure what to think at the moment. It sounds a bit cheesy to be honest, but this is also Disney, so it'll probably be better than I think. I'll wait until I see the first trailer to actually start forming opinions.


Nutcracker and the Four Realms- November 2

Story: Clara receives a gift from her godfather that leads her to a mysterious realm full of magic. She has to retrieve her gift from the world and return home, while trying to bring peace back to the land.

Cast: Mackenzie Foy as Clara, Keira Knightley as the Sugar Plum Fairy, Morgan Freeman as Drosselmeyer, Helen Mirren as Mother Ginger, and Misty Copeland as the Ballerina.

My Thoughts: I'm intrigued. The first trailer came out recently and it looks magical, although I couldn't tell much of the plot. And I didn't see the Nutcracker. But it has a good cast (especially Misty Copeland!) so I'm looking forward to it.


Wreck-It Ralph Breaks the Internet- November 21

Story: Ralph and Vanellope go on an adventure into the internet to fix a game from the arcade.

Cast: John C. Reilly as Wreck-It Ralph, Sarah Silverman as Vanellope, and Jack McBrayer as Felix.

My Thoughts: Wreck-It Ralph was a surprise to me. I thought it would be dumb. But then I actually watched it and fell in love with the story of a villain who wants to be a good guy. The second movie, although I haven't seen any of it, already looks cool. It doesn't hurt they already said all the Disney princesses are going to make an appearance, voiced by most of the original actresses (except the dead ones). It'll be exciting to see where the movie takes us.


Mary Poppins Returns- December 25

Story: Mary Poppins is back, this time to visit the children of Michael after a personal loss. Along with the street lighter Jack, she shows the children the joy and wonder of life.

Cast: Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins, Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack, Ben Wishaw as Michael, Emily Mortimer as Jane, Meryl Streep as Topsy, and Dick Van Dyke as Mr. Dawes Jr.

My Thoughts: Need I repeat? This film has Lin-Manuel Miranda and he's going to sing. I'm watching it, no matter how horrible it may be. But I don't think it will be. It sounds like they will be following the books even more closely than the first film. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Let's talk! Are you excited for any of these movies? Are there any actors you'll watch (almost) no matter what? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. Wow. A LOT of movies that I'm looking forward are in here. (INFINITY WAR....)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I am so looking forward to Infinity War. :D

      Delete
  2. So many Marvel movies!!!! And so many Marvel movies I won't get to see until they come out on VidAngel....but one can hope there will be one that doesn't take my Lord's name in vain so I can see it without filtering, right?

    I didn't know there was going to be a Christopher Robin movie, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few Marvel. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to wait for them to come out on disc or whatever to see them. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts