Top Books of 2017 and 2018

Top Books of 2017 and 2018

For starters, there won't be one specific book review this month. Instead, you're getting a post on my favorite books from last year and the top books I'm looking forward to this year.

The one problem with looking forward to books is that you often end up disappointed. So many times I pick up a book I've been waiting for, only to be upset by the way it turned out or the characters in it. Especially with all the stupid gay/queer/bisexual/whatever crap that's being put in books anymore. It annoys me to death. Alright, I'll stop whining about that now. Let's move on to the actual post.

Top 2017 Books

Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz

Yeah, I know I keep talking about this book, but I loved it so much. It's a mostly clean love story based off of one of my favorite musicals. It's perfect for people who like historical fiction and/or Hamilton nerds.

Outlining Your Novel by K. M. Weiland

I didn't read a lot of writing books this year, but this one was one of the best. I bought it and it has helped me a ton with writing better outlines. I feel much more confident when starting the first draft since I've started incorporating parts of her outlining process.

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

A friend recommended this series to me, and I'm so glad she did. It's very fun and reminds me of Lemony Snicket. There are puzzles, smart kids with various talents, and lots of danger and excitement.

Darkstalker by Tui T. Sutherland

This was one of the most interesting children's books I've read this year, mostly due to the fact the titular character is the villain that shows up later. I've never read a kids book where you wanted someone become a villain, or at least not quite like this. A great companion to the rest of the series.

The Elements of Style by E. B. White

This was the second most helpful writing book I read this year. E B White presents grammar rules, thoughts on writing, and notes on style in a clear, easy to understand way. He gives examples that are actually useful. I normally never understand this stuff, but I did when he explained it.

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

A beautiful story about being different and being kind. I loved this book and I can't wait to see the movie. A great read for anyone of any age.

All the Wrong Questions by Lemony Snicket

This is technically a series, but who cares. This one is about Lemony himself and I liked how clever it was and how he showed the world is more than black and white. I think I even liked it the tiniest bit more than A Series of Unfortunate Events.

My Most Anticipated 2018 Reads


My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton

I read My Lady Jane this year and liked it a lot. This is the second book in the series, all based on (because they are not the same as their real lives) different women named Jane. This one is about Jane Eyre (who is technically a fictional character), so I'll have to read that before I read the book.

The Traitor Prince by C. J. Redwine

I didn't like the first book in this series a lot, but I loved the second one, so I'm hoping the third one will be as good. It continues in her fantasy world, but once again in a different country. And it looks like it will have a boy protagonist for a change of pace.

The Defiant by Lesley Livingston

More girl gladiators! More fighting! More Fallon! (But hopefully not more romance.) I adored the first book in this series, so I can't wait to read number two.

Supergifted by Gordon Korman

If you want to read a super sweet MG novel, read Ungifted. I was over the moon when I learned there would be a sequel to it. It looks like this time the situation is reversed, placing one of the gifted children in normal school. Sounds interesting.

Love and War by Melissa de la Cruz

One of my top reads of 2017 is getting a sequel in 2018. I could not be more excited! Now she's covering the Revolutionary War part of their lives, so I hope to see more of Hamilton's buddies and just how their relationship evolves over the course of the war.

The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro

And here's another favorite series getting a third book. How will it end? Will Jamie and Charlotte remain together? Will they solve the mystery? Will everyone please leave Jamie alone because he is the sweetest?

Batman: Nightwalker by Marie Lu

I haven't even read the Wonder Woman book in this series yet, but that doesn't mean I can't be excited for the Batman one yet. I like Batman. And I heard the author talk about this book, so I'm interested in reading it.

Let's talk! What were your favorite reads in 2017? Any shiny books being published this year that have caught your eye? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts