An Introduction to. . . Steampunk

An Introduction to. . . Steampunk

It's been too long since I did one of these. Not since October. I'm excited to be talking about the steampunk genre today, because it's one of my favorites, and very underrated. I think I first learned about steampunk from a random author talk I went to with my dad and I was hooked from there. I've even written my own steampunk novel, with ideas for more.



Genre: Steampunk

Steampunk is one of the newest genres out there, only having been around since the 60s and 70s. The genre is a mix of sci-fi, the 18th century industrial era, alternate history, and a bit of fantasy. The biggest part of it is that everything is powered by steam technology and it often includes advancements for the era. For example, steam powered zeppelins or automatons or even computers. Sometimes a touch of magic or paranormal is added for extra excitement.

The whole idea of steampunk is that is an exploration of creativity. Things don't have to make sense. Why would anyone create a whole genre full of Victorian dress, corsets, and steam power? No one knows. It's meant to be fun and outlandish and gritty. If you'd like a better explanation, read this article. And if you plan on writing it, do some research first.

Sub-genres

• Cyberpunk. This sub-genre steers closer to the sci-fi side of steampunk, as it focuses on computers combined with a gritty setting. Cyborgs often make appearances and there's lots of more advanced tech (without steam power).

• Dieselpunk. This is similar to steampunk, only it uses more diesel power and takes place more towards the end of WWI and the time after. Similar principles as steampunk, though.

• Clockpunk. Steampunk, but with a stronger focus on clockwork technology rather than steam. It can sometimes be setting farther back in history too.

• Gaslamp fantasy. The sub-genre where the more supernatural part of steampunk appears. It's normally less science based and deals with the more fantastical side.

• Wild West. This is technically part of the normal genre, but since it appears less frequently I decided to list it here. The two major settings of steampunk is Victorian England and America's Wild West. No clue why, it just is.

For more sub-genres, try this Wikipedia article- Cyberpunk derivatives 

Tropes

• Fashion. One of the biggest things you see in steampunk is the fashion. It's based partially off the idealized versions of Victorian clothing, with some extras thrown in. Explorer gear is common, as are goggles, top hats, corsets on the outside, fingerless gloves, and more. Do a quick Pinterest search and you'll see what I mean.

• Laser guns. I don't know where these came from, but you see a lot of laser/ray guns in steampunk fiction. Another thing to just go with.

• Cyborgs. It wouldn't be a good steampunk adventure without someone with cybernetic parts. They're normally steam or clockwork powered and made of brass.

• Vehicles. Zeppelins, hot air balloons, cars, motorcycles, flying machines, moving cities, steampunk has it all. There are always crazier ideas for vehicles showing up. Make sure to add a few cool ones.

• Alternate history. The whole of the steampunk genre is based around the idea of alternate history. What if the Victorian steam era lasted longer? But sometimes it goes farther than that in the books. Go wherever your imagination might take you.

To Avoid

As steampunk is a relatively new genre, I couldn't find a lot of cliches from it yet, but here are a few.

• Useless clockworks. You can't just slap some gears on a invention and call it steampunk. I can't claim an superiority on the topic, but you need to have more than gears to call your work steampunk.

• Airships. While fun, these machines are actually not a practical mode of transportation, and not something I would want to cross the mountains or almost anything else in. They're bags of gas. The slightest problem and the whole thing could go up in flames. No thank you.

• London. While I myself an guilty of this cliche, London is a bit of an overdone setting. Everyone puts their stories here. There are lots of other lovely towns in England. Pick one of them for a change.

• Over-the-top-everything. Outrageous fashions. Barely imaginable machines. Tons of worldbuilding. You've got to avoid overwhelming the reader with details and tidbits of everything you've created. Try to keep it more down to earth.

Example Books

Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kate Locke

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

The Inventor's Secret by Andrea Cremer



Have you ever read or written steampunk? Got any tips? Tell me in the comments.

An Introduction to. . .

Fantasy
Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
Contemporary/Realistic Fiction

Comments

  1. I love steampunk!!! I've read the Time Machine, The Rithamist by Brandon Sanderson (technically it was gearpunk, but it was still awesome) and Airman by Eoin Colfer (not sure if it counts as steampunk but I'll say it does XD). These were great tips, Rachel! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I want to read the Airman, since I loved Artemis Fowl. It looks good.

      Delete
  2. I love steampunk!. I really want to write a steampunk sometimes, the idea is simmering. I have read the Girl In the Steal Corset! And Airman.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simmering ideas are the best ones, because they could become anything. I hope it becomes something great. You're the second person to mention Airman, so I guess I'll have to read it now. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts