Rachel's Guide to Reading Tomes

Rachel's Guide to Reading Tomes

Have you noticed books are just getting bigger? It feels like every book now is 400+ pages. What happened to all the short reads? The ones that could take like a day to read? But I digress.

Trying to read those long books, as great as they may be, can be a bit difficult. Never fear, Rachel is here with all the pointers for making it through massive tomes of literature. Since I've read Alexander Hamilton, Les Miserables, and more, I'd say I have qualification.


Slow and steady wins the race

It took me three months to read Alexander Hamilton. It took me over a year to read both Les Miserables and Gone with the Wind. But I got through them. The important thing with big books is to remember that it's okay to take a break and read those library books that are due, or whatever you feel like. It's a big task and it's okay to break it up.

Read everywhere

If your book is small enough to carry, then carry it with you and read when possible. If it is more the size of a step stool, then leave it sitting around at home so you can read it when you have a spare minute. Ten minutes here, five minutes there. It adds up over time.


Use Goodreads

Goodreads has a handy feature where you can enter what page you're on in your book and add updates. It's fun to keep updating as you go and having your own little witty asides. I updated so many times when I was reading the Hamilton book. Including quotes from the musical.


Make little goals

For example, say that today you're going to read a chapter in the morning, a ten minute reading session in the middle of the day, and another chapter at night. Or you could say you want to block out an hour to read on the weekends. Have little goals for your reading and then you can feel more accomplished.


Break it up

Don't burn yourself out with long books, either. In between the five hundred page ones, read a comic book or any shorter book. Otherwise you'll get discouraged with your reading progress.

Don't give up

It may seem like the book is going on forever, but it will end. Keep plowing through and you will accomplish it. Plus, you get bragging rights when you read the big books. Just saying.



How do you get through big books? What's the longest one you've read? Tell me (and brag a little) in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

How to Read Books Fast
The Importance of Reading Widely


Comments

  1. I haven't been on Goodreads very long--but I'll have to check out book-update feature. :)

    I think the longest book I've read was Flashback, by Shannon Messenger, which was a little over 800 pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applaud your victory over that book! Nice going.
      The book update feature isn't hard to use. You just click the update progress button next to the book you're currently reading on the sidebar. I find it super helpful.
      Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, that book feature thing on Goodreads sounds very helpful!!! I think the longest book I have ever read is The Count of Monte Cristo (I think it was over 1,000 pages but I don't remember for certain XD). YES SO IT IS NOT JUST ME. BOOKS ARE REALLY GETTING LONGER. *heaves a sigh of relief* XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1,000 pages! Wow! You rock. (And it's not just you. I've noticed the trend as well.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts