Some of My Favorite Things (Christmas Themed!): A Blog Hop

Some of My Favorite Things (Christmas Themed!): A Blog Hop

I've seen this blog hop in a few different places and I wanted to do a Christmas themed post, so I decided to combine the two and talk about some of my Christmas favorites. This blog hop is meant to help you talk about something besides books and writing. It was created by Sarah. Let's get started.



1. Christmas movies

Who doesn't love a good Christmas movie? Whether it's silly or sweet, serious or sappy, they all remind us that Christmas is a time for family, for giving, and for hope. I've already written a list of some of my favorite Christmas movies, but I did want to give a quick shout out to a new favorite I discovered this year.

It's called The Christmas Chronicles (available on Netflix). It stars Kurt Russell in the role of Santa Claus and has a similar flavor to The Santa Clause. Even though it does have some pretty basic bits (saving Christmas, sibling drama), the thing I liked most about it was that it wasn't what you were expecting. It's unique and fun and you should totally check it out.

2. Warmer in the Winter

If you didn't already know, I'm a huge Lindsey Stirling fan, so when she came out with a Christmas album, I was over the moon. All of her arrangements are so beautiful and fun and inspire me to go practice more. Favorites on this album? "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" with Sabrina Carpenter and probably "Angels We Have Heard on High".

3. The music

What would Christmas be without the music? Even if I'm getting burned out of some songs due to working in a store that plays only about twenty songs in different arrangements, I still love them. From ethereal to fun to sappy (but not the original "Blue Christmas". I don't like Elvis). Pentatonix, the Piano Guys, Idina Menzel, Michael Buble, and Josh Groban are a few of my faves.

4. The Christmas displays

My family has several annual Christmas traditions we do almost every year. We go to DC to see the Botanical Garden train display, which is awesome. They have trains, obviously, but the highlight is the buildings scattered throughout the room, made of 100% natural materials. If you can find it outside in nature, they use it. If you ever have the chance to go, you won't regret it.

Secondly, for the past few years we've been going down to National Harbor and seeing the Gaylord Christmas show. It's amazing. They have a giant fountain that they make dance to music while snow falls and laser lights flash and the big tree lights up. The whole thing is probably 15 minutes and it keeps getting more crowded every year, but it's so worth it.

5. The way Christmas lights look

Can we just appreciate how beautiful a little thing like a colored incandescent bulb is? The way they look when you squint your eyes slightly? How they twinkle and shine and bring back all the joys of childhood? I love Christmas lights.

6. Holiday drinks and food

Hot chocolate with whipped cream, mini chips, and marshmallows. The Chick-fil-a Peppermint Milkshake. The Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino. (But not eggnog.) I love warm and cold holiday drinks that all seem to include mint for some reason.

And let's not even get started on the food. Fudge, Christmas cookies, ham, bread, oh, I just want to eat it all. And don't forget the Christmas candy and Oreos.

7. My family

One of the best parts of Christmas is spending it with family. We don't have as many places to visit anymore, and sometimes I miss the big Christmas celebrations with all my cousins, but I'm still thankful for the family I do get to celebrate with. I love going to my grandparent's on Christmas Eve, and doing fun stuff with my family Christmas day. Even though we don't always have a ton of money, my parents have tried to make each and ever Christmas special (and succeeded) and I love them for it.

8. The reason for the season

Sometimes in all the bustle, it's hard to remember the real reason we celebrate. But if we forget that, we lose the point. We celebrate God sending his son to Earth so he could be the sacrifice for our sins. Each year at Advent, we remember the hope the Israelites had and the hope we still have of Christ's second coming. This is a time of hope and joy and remembrance. There is nothing more beautiful than thinking of the first Christmas and rejoicing in all that God has done.

I tag anyone who wants to do this as well. Have fun!


And a quick announcement: I'll be taking a blog hiatus for the next two weeks. I'll be back on January 7 with a post on who knows what, and maybe a December wrap-up sometime before the end of the month (we'll see how I feel). I hope you all have a happy Christmas season!



What are some of your Christmas favorites? Favorite music? Favorite movie? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

My Top 14 Christmas Movies
Book of the Month: Holly Claus


Comments

  1. AH YES!!! Lindsey Stirling's new album is SO GOOD. I love her Three Ships song and the Three Gentlemen medley. Probably my favorite Christmas movie is It's a Wonderful Life. XD That's kind of sad that where you work only has 20 songs in different arrangements...XD
    Merry Christmas to you as well, and have a wonderful hiatus!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you as well! (And to be honest, I've never watched It's a Wonderful Life. I know the story, though.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts