MerMay 2020 Round-Up

MerMay 2020 Round-Up

Like I promised on Thursday, I have a bonus post for you this week. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the full round-up of drawings I did for MerMay this year. It was so fun to draw different mermaids in different styles that I hope to do it again next year.

Just a reminder, if you want to keep up with my art, I post fairly frequently to my art Instagram account- @rachel.e.art. Feel free to follow me there. 😉 Without further ado, on to the round-up.


The first mermaid I draw was this quick little sketch of a cozy mermaid. She has her sweater and her cup of hot cocoa and is ready to chill with a movie or a good book. I drew this one while watching Amazing Grace with the family. Honestly, most of these were drawn while watching something. Does anyone else have a tendency to do that?


Next I drew one from the "official" prompt list for warrior. This was super fun as I haven't drawn a lot of POCs. My favorite part of her has to be her big, blue afro.


For Star Wars day, you know I had to draw a Star Wars character. So after much deliberation, I made Ahsoka Tano. It was great fun and I discovered I could draw a fairly decent Ahsoka. Who knew?


The next day I wasn't quite done drawing Star Wars characters, so I did Padme and Leia as well. Padme came out well, Leia less so. I never realized how similar these two outfits I picked were to each other until I drew them.


The next prompt I did was outcast, which made me think of Robin Hood. I drew one of my favorite ones, the one from Disney in the 1950s. It came out pretty good and I was impressed because I managed to get the archer stance right without a reference picture. Believe me, it will never happen again.


The next two are both of a mermaid that I created myself. I love her. Her hair was partially inspired by the old Wix show (did anyone else watch that?). She's super cute, and I need to find a name for her. If you have any suggestions, drop them in the comments.



One of the more abstract ideas I had was to try doing a zentangle mermaid. I found the classic Little Mermaid silhouette and did a zentangle behind it. I love how this one came out.


I also had an idea to try doing Taylor Swift as a mermaid. While this one doesn't look a lot like Taylor, I still think she's pretty cute. And her pose is one of the best ones I did. The outfit she's wearing is inspired by one of her Grammy dresses.


After that, I hadn't planned to do any more, but then inspiration struck one last time. I decided to draw this mermaid, who is blue and sassy and confident. And she has a belly. That's what was important to me about it. It's not perfect, but she's one of my favorites from the whole month.



Have you drawn any mermaids (recent or not)? Which of these is your favorite? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. OMW, your mermaids are AMAZING!!! I LOVE that last one so much, and the warrior one, and the yellow original one!!! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those three are some of my favorites as well.

      Delete
  2. All of these are awesome! Especially the zendoodle one! I did that once and it was so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been doing zentangle for a long time. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts