Book Review: A Dress for the Wicked

Book Review: A Dress for the Wicked

A Dress for the Wicked
by Autumn Kraus


Blurb: Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Shy in Avon-upon-Kynt. And for eighteen years, Emmaline Watkins has feared that her future held just that: nothing.

But when the head of the most admired fashion house in the country opens her prestigious design competition to girls from outside the stylish capital city, Emmy’s dreams seem closer than they ever have before.

As the first “country girl” to compete, Emmy knows she’ll encounter extra hurdles on her way to the top. But as she navigates the twisted world of high fashion she starts to wonder: will she be able to tailor herself to fit into this dark, corrupted race? And at what cost?

Cover Review: I adore this cover. It's striking with the black and blue and looks just like a fashion sketch. It gives you the perfect idea of what the book is about.

Plot: While the plot was a wee bit predictable (I could pretty much guess everything that was going to happen), it was so enjoyable I didn't mind. I liked watching the story unfold and it kept me reading the whole time. In fact, I read almost the whole book in one day. It kind of reminded me a small bit of the Devil Wears Prada (especially Emmy and Madame Jolene).

Characters: Emmy, a country girl, was our main character. I liked her struggle with staying true to herself, even if that is someone from the country, and deciding to break free of the constraints of the Fashion House. She was a sweet, strong-willed girl with everything to lose.

Other characters included the other contestants, some of whom were very important and others barely in there, Madame Jolene, the fashion house ruler, and a love interest for Emmy whose name I forget. Sophie, one of the contestants, became a important character and I thought she was rather interesting.

World: This is an alternate history world, where part of England broke off and formed its own country. You can see how she was inspired a lot by the current royal family in some of the politics. I think it's super cool how she managed to build a world whose economy was fashion and make it believable.

Other: I must say, I feel like this book was written for me. I adored it from beginning to end. The country girl, the fashion contest, fashion itself. It made me so happy to read.

Rating: 4 stars




Do you like books about fashion? Have you ever read a book made for you? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Ooh, this looks like a really good book. *adds to TBR*
    Ah, I love the feeling of finding a book/movie/show that feels like it was made just for you. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts