Retail Pet Peeves

Retail Pet Peeves

If you didn't know, I work retail, and have for almost three years now. I'm not sure I'd say I love it, but I don't hate it either, so that's good. I have seen a wide variety of things in my time there, so today I thought I'd talk about some of my pet peeves in retail. Maybe next month I'll discuss some of my loves in retail (because there are some).


1. "If it doesn't scan, it must be free!" joke

*pterodactyl shriek* Please do not make this joke unless you want your cashier to consider clubbing you over the head with the scanner. It's not funny and it hasn't been since like the second time someone said it. Just seeing it written down is triggering me right now.

2. People not reading signs

It's no wonder that America is in such a state, since no one seems to be able to read these days. A lot of frustration would be saved if people actually read the sign and saw, oh, coupons aren't allowed on this item, or oh, that's the emergency exit door.

3. Telling me how to do my job

It's one thing to make a suggestion, or point something out to me politely. I am happy to receive that. But people that tell me how I should be doing what I have been trained to do, like they know how to do it better, annoy me to death.

4. Being ignored

Some people I swear consider retail workers to be part of the décor. They don't talk to us while we check them out, talk on the phone the whole time, or ignore us when we try to ask them a question. We have to talk to you. If we don't, we're considered rude. At least give us the curtsey of a single word reply so we know you're not deaf.

5. Being asked a question when I'm clearly busy

Example: when I have a full armload of clothes, when I'm ringing up another customer, when I'm answering the phone. This is a personal one, but if people could just wait until I put down the clothes or finish with the person I'm helping before they ask, it would be great.


Have you ever worked retail? Do you have a personal pet peeve about your job? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Sounds rough! I don't think I could do retail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all bad. Most days are pretty normal job-wise.

      Delete
  2. Oof. I always hated the "It must be free" thing and I've never even worked retail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only gets worse once you've worked retail.

      Delete
  3. I totally get this stuff! Although I don't work in retail, I work at a pizza ranch, being ignored and asked questions when I'm busy are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food service is pretty similar, so we feel the same pain.

      Delete
  4. I haven't worked in retail, but one year I was in the food business and they. Never. Read. Signs. I relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retail and food service are pretty similar from what I've heard. Good to know the literacy problem isn't only in retail.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts