Blogging 101: Social Media

Blogging 101: Social Media

It's day three and the (for now) final post in my Blogging 101 series. We've covered writing blog posts and making a blog schedule so today we're talking about the social media platforms that you can use for your blog and some ideas on how to use them.

I don't know all platforms nor am I an expert at any of them. But I'm willing to share what I've learned over the past few years to hopefully help you with your blog social media.

Facebook

Facebook isn't as popular these days, and there's all sorts of stuff with the algorithm, although you don't need to worry about that. However, I do think it still has usefulness for bloggers.

For one thing, you can share your posts on it. You can't add links in Instagram anywhere but your profile (something that should be fixed) and it's a hassle to change the link every time you come out with a new post. That's why Facebook is good. You can share your posts and others posts to help increase engagement.

And of course there are plenty of other things you can do with a Facebook page for your blog. Share snippets, writing progress, polls, and more. Play around with it and see how you can increase engagement.

You need a Facebook account to create a page for your blog. That's easy to do, you just need to look it up online. Make sure to use your blog's name or something close for your page so people can find you easily.

Instagram

Instagram is the place to be these days. There's something about the simple layout and pretty pictures that captures our short attention spans. Plus, they have stories where you can share little everyday things that will disappear after 24 hours.

Instagram is great for any blog. For a book blog, you can take bookstagram pictures. For writers, you can share pictures of your writing. For food bloggers, you can share pictures of the recipes you create. And so on. Plus, Instagram is easy to figure out and use.

Some people like to keep to a theme for their blog Instagram. Like rainbow explosion or clean cut pictures. You should decide if you want to do that, or if you just want to stick to specific types of pictures (like book pictures and writing pictures). You could also use Instagram to show a more personal side of your life. Do what you think is best.

All you need for Instagram is a phone and the app. Once you have the app, you can easily create an account using your blog name, actually name, or something like that. Follow some people, add your first picture, and you're ready to go.

Pinterest

Pinterest is another great website, but it's less of a social media platform. The best way to use this one is to pin your posts (using the header we talked about in part one). If they're pinned by other people, more people will see them and more people will come to your blog.

Pinterest is more useful for other things, like creating storyboards and saving pins that are useful to you, like writing posts. People can chose to follow whatever boards interest them and you can do the same on other people's profiles.

Twitter

I'll admit, I don't use Twitter. I know the platform and know a lot of people like it, but it just seems a bit fast moving to me. I don't know if I want another social media to scroll through. But if you have the desire to use it, then go ahead. I'm sure it's just as useful as any of these other platforms.

And that's the end of my blogging series, for now. I've gotten a few more ideas while writing these ones. Are there any topics you'd like to see me talk about? Let me know down in the comments if you do.

Let's talk! What social media do you use? What do you find is most useful for your blog? Are there any blog topics I should cover? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Blogging 101: Writing a Blog Post
Blogging 101: Creating a Blog Schedule

Comments

  1. I have limited social media - only Pinterest, GR and Google+. I can understand why Facebook is decreasing in popularity - it's not a very user-friendly interface (in more ways than one!).

    Google+ is also an excellent sharing platform for blog posts. It's really easy to do it from Blogger - just click the "Share" button in the post menu. I noticed that after I started sharing my posts to Google+, my post hits doubled.

    Excellent post, Rachel!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used Google+, so thanks for sharing that. Maybe I'll have to give it a try. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts