Writing and Dyslexia

Writing and Dyslexia

I wasn't sure I was going to do this post. I'm a little nervous to be talking about this topic as it's something I have personal experience with.  If you haven't guessed by the title of the post, I'm dyslexic. This post is going to be some about that and some about being a reader and a writer with a "condition" that makes doing those things difficult at times. It might be a bit rambly, but I wanted to write this as an encouragement to any other people like that out there. So if you know someone who could use this post, please share it with them.

My Dyslexia

I actually didn't know I had dyslexia until the last few years, when my mom discovered my sister and I had it. My sister has it much worse than me, but mine is still there. Once I learned that I had dyslexia, a lot of stuff clicked into place.

Dyslexia is very interesting because it effects different people different ways. Not all dyslexics fall into all the same boxes. It's just like anything else. There are a lot of facets. Even between me and my sister, there are differences. Reading is hard for her, for example, while it's easier for me.

Dyslexia for me includes a bunch of stuff. I have a hard time with left and right, spelling is impossible, words tend to mix themselves up when I'm reading, reading out loud is no fun, and sometimes when I'm talking words come out wrong, even if I know what I'm saying.

Not to say that there aren't good things that come with it. I have an excellent map in my head, even if I don't know which streets are which. I'm artistic and sometimes see things others don't.

Reading and Writing

Being a book-lover and writer may seem at odds with dyslexia, but I don't care. It never stopped me before I knew I had it, so I refuse to let it stop me now.

The thing is to find tricks and ways to help yourself. Like with spelling. Noah Webster, may you burn in hell for making spelling impossible for those of us with different brains. What's with silent letters or sight words or all that? Their, they're, there? Spelling is my bane in life. (Coming in second is pronouncing words. I'll change sentences in my head just so I don't embarrass myself by saying the word wrong out loud.)

There are certain words that I just can't spell, no matter how many times I look at it. Definitely, necessary, even dyslexia, are hard to spell. And then I can go and spell a long words like claustrophobic perfectly the first time. Believe me, spell check is a dyslexic's best friend. (Except the times you spell something so wrong even spell check can't help.)

Reading isn't as hard for me as it is for some dyslexics. I only have slight trouble with words and letters mixing themselves up. I once read Chesapeake as Cupcake, so you know. It all depends. And reading out loud is okay, except the sentences decide to rearrange themselves or I get distracted reading ahead silently.

But none of that makes me love reading and writing any less. I've been both since I learned how. It just means I have to do things a little differently. That's why I wrote by hand for years, because I couldn't concentrate on the computer until recently. But I do have an excellent view of the big picture of my story. Although the little things can sometimes slip by me.

Encouragement

If you to are dyslexic, I encourage you to not give up. Having your brain work differently doesn't mean you can't do things. Dyslexics are just as smart as other people, sometimes more so. I recently read a list of famous dyslexic people, including Albert Einstein, Orlando Bloom, George Washington, Agatha Christie, Steven Spielberg, and Walt Disney! If they can do it, why can't we?



Keep going, even if it's hard. Don't let anyone tell you you are stupid, slow, or backwards. God just made your brain different than other people's. About ten percent of the world is dyslexic, so you're not alone. Have a virtual high five from me for being so awesome.


Dyslexics, we get the job done *winks*

Let's talk! Are you dyslexic, or know anyone who is? What sort of struggles do you have? Do you have any questions about dyslexia (I can do my best to answer)? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

How to Motive Yourself: 6 Easy Tips
Let's Talk About: Bethany Hamilton

Comments

  1. Excellent post, Rachel. I've never had to deal with dyslexia, but I tutored a guy with it once. Even with that, there is still a lot I don't know about it. Thanks!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you learned something new then. And you're welcome. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts