Writing Tips from Wreck-It Ralph

Writing Lessons from Wreck-It Ralph

Wreck-It Ralph came as a surprise to me. My friends's dad had gotten it for us to watch when we came over one Sunday. I'd seen a few things about it, but I thought it looked kind of dumb and/or cheesy. I was pleasantly surprised at how amazing it was. From characters to plot to worldbuilding, it was great. That's why it's the perfect movie for learning some writing lessons from. Spoilers ahead.


1. Turn cliches around

A big bad guy. A tough sergeant. A cute little girl. A goody-two-shoes guy. All of these characters could be just that, but Disney didn't stop there. Ralph might be the bad guy of the video game, but he's tired of that. He even goes to a villain support group (which I thought was clever). Sergeant Calhoun is actually a lot nicer than she seems. Vanellope is the toughest little thing you can image, but also sensitive. Felix might be nice, but even he isn't without fault.

If you find you have a cliche character, see what new dimension you can add to them to make them uncliche. Make your tough guy adore cats and talk to them is silly voices. That pretty girl is killer at laser tag. Even a small thing can take your character to the next level.


2. Hide the villain in plain sight

The thing that I never saw coming the first time was that King Candy is Turbo. I was so shocked. I mean, I knew King Candy wasn't a good guy, but I didn't know that he was that bad. All the clues are there, but you don't put it together until you see him fighting Vanellope.

Where can you put your villain so no one notices him? The middle of the good guys encampment? The person everyone trusts? Your hero's love interest (I'm looking at you Hans)? Just make sure not to put him in too obvious a place or people will be likely to guess who the villain is.


3. Worldbuilding is everything

The world of Wreck-It Ralph is fantastic. While it might sound bizarre, the whole thing taking place inside the electronics of an arcade, it works great. From the power strip terminal to the trains going through the electrical cords to the world's rules, everything is well thought out. I can't imagine how long it took them to figure out all this stuff and make it work.

Me, looking at Wreck-It Ralph's worldbuilding

Even if you're working with an idea that might seem a bit out there, you can sell it to people if you make it believable. Don't forget the rules of the world, show us how it works, and make it feel real. Many books fall short in the worldbuilding department, but yours doesn't have to be one.


4. Make fans love the characters

One of the most endearing things about this movie is the characters. I love Ralph's big heart and temper issues. Vanellope has become a fan favorite. And the two of them together is even better. Even though the movie is only like an hour and a half, the filmmakers let you get to know these characters, as well as test the limits of their friendship. The scene where Ralph breaks Vanellope's car (and her heart) is awful to watch because you don't want them to do these things to each other.

Let your readers get to know your characters so they can fall in love with them. The characters are the life blood of the novel (small reference there) and one of the things people love most. You always hear about Frodo and Harry and Tris before almost anything else in a story. Make your characters relatable and people will love them.


5. Use plot twists well

There are some major plot twists in this movie, such as the aforementioned King Candy true identity or the one about Vanellope. You don't see them coming at all, but once they happen, you're thinking how you should have seen that coming. They aren't just for shock, either. They actually help the story along.

When you're thinking of adding a plot twist to your novel, consider first if it's necessary. No one wants to read a plot twist that has nothing to do with the story other than to surprise you. It's like a jump scare in a movie. It only works so many times, and if you set it up correctly. If you can set up your plot twists right, people will still be surprised, even if they might have guessed it.


*  *  *  *  *

I'm really looking forward to what they're going to do with Wreck-It Ralph Breaks the Internet. They just released the first trailer and it was super funny. I can't wait to see the way they bring the world of the internet to life the same way they did the world of video games. And know more of the plot.

Let's talk! Have you watched Wreck-It Ralph? What do you love about it? Did I miss any lessons? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Writing Advice from "The Princess and the Frog"
Writing Sequels: Lessons from Disney

Comments

  1. Aw, this is my sister's favorite movie!!! I really liked this one too. I love Vanellope. Haha, I didn't see King Candy coming either! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanellope is my sister's favorite character too. I'm not sure who I like better, her or Ralph. King Candy was the biggest surprise in that movie for sure. Except maybe for the Vanellope reveal.

      Delete
  2. I love this movie, and you pointed out so many writing lessons that I wouldn't have thought of! The sequel was really disappointing to me, but it doesn't change how good this one is. What do you think of number 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked some things about the sequel, especially the Disney Princesses, but yeah, it was a bit disappointing. Like two many Disney sequels, it seemed to lose the magic of the first one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts