My Thoughts On 2019 Movies: Part 2 (What Did I Think?)

My Thoughts on 2019 Movies: Part 2

We're back with more movies from 2019. Were they good? Were they bad? Did they meet my expectations (good or bad)? Read on to find out.

As a side note, doing any movie posts for next year ought to be interesting, since almost nothing has come out this year. I do miss theaters.



Spider-Man: Far From Home

Expectations: The first Tom Holland Spider-Man movie was so good, I couldn't wait to see the sequel. I wanted more Spider-Man action, funny lines, and getting to see Mysterio onscreen for the first time.

After Watching: It did not disappoint. I watched in the theater, which was fun, until we got to the scene where Mysterio did all those mind tricks on Spider-Man which completely flipped me out. But other than that, it was another perfect Spider-Man movie that hit me too hard in the feels. (Also, I ship Peter and MJ hard.)


Downton Abbey

Expectations: I adored the show and I couldn't wait to see the movie. I hoped it would be good and not a disappointment.

After Watching: It was just as good as I hoped. It continued the story-lines nicely while tying up a few loose ends from the show. I only cried a little. There was drama, intrigue, danger, and more awesome Granny lines. If you haven't seen it yet, please do.


The Lion King

Expectations: None whatsoever. How can you even call it "live-action" when exactly one shot of the whole thing wasn't animated? I had no hopes for it.

After Watching: As my siblings and I said after watching- "The Lion King! Now with more dung beetle!". It was basically the same as the original (shot for shot in some cases) only without any of the elements that made the original, you know, good? They made "Be Prepared" spoken word, people! The only things they added gave nothing to the story. Argg, it trigger me so bad. Skip 1000%.


Cats

Expectations: I was unsure. I love the musical, but how do you portray that onscreen? And to be honest, the animation of the cats did look a little weird and creepy.

After Watching: It wasn't the best, but it wasn't a total flop, to me. I know a lot of people hated it, but I feel like they might not have watched the original, because a lot of the same elements are in both. Yes, the animation is a bit disturbing at times, and I'm not sure I liked what they did with the music, but there are some good things. Like Taylor's song, or Jennifer Hudson's performance, or the Skimbleshanks part.


Frozen II

Expectations: Disney sequels are notoriously tricky. Sometimes they are amazing, other times you wonder what they were thinking. I hoped this would be the former, but they had been riding the Frozen wave for a long time.

After Watching: Again, this is one a lot of people thought a flop. Personally, I loved it. I admit, there are things they could have done better. But I have a whole post coming later this month about how much Frozen II means to me, so that will sum up my thoughts better.


Detective Pikachu

Expectations: Have I ever watched, played, or done anything with Pokemon? Not at all. The biggest reason I wanted to watch this movie was because Ryan Reynolds was Pikachu and he always makes me laugh.

After Watching: I probably missed a lot of Pokemon references and whatnot, but looking at it as a story, it wasn't bad. I thought Justice Smith did a good job and wasn't sure why the girl character was there (except for her hilariously stressed Pokemon). The real star of the movie was Pikachu and I still quote some of the lines. Reynolds really carried the movie.


Jumanji: The Next Level

Expectations: If Disney sequels are bad, Hollywood sequels tend to be worse. But the first movie was such a surprise, hopefully this one would be too.

After Watching: It was actually decent. I wasn't sure during the first half, but in the end it was pretty good. We had some new characters, which was fun, and not nearly enough Nick Jonas (but that's just me). The real star of the movie though was Awkwafina as Danny Devito's character. Her impression was so good.


Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

Expectations: I'm not sure I had many. The Force Awakens was good, the Last Jedi sucked. Who knew what this one would be like?

After Watching: It was a mess. It was so long and confusing. They made Palapatine coming back such a secret, only for him to show up five minutes in. The Knights of Ren came back only to do nothing except be killed off. It frustrated me, especially because I feel like it had so much potential.


Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Expectations: Maleficent was amazing. I loved everything they did with it. But what would the sequel be like?

After Watching: I'm still not sure how I feel. I want to watch it again to really solidify my thoughts. I didn't like it as much as the original, that's for sure. But there were things I liked (the winged people) and other things I didn't (the villain). So, kind of mixed.


Did you have a favorite movie that came out in 2019? What are your thoughts on some of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. The first time I saw Rise of Skywalker I was very unhappy about the plot holes but when I watched it for the second time in the theater, I loved it. But, I completely understand anyone who is bothered by it. I also enjoyed Far From Home! I didn't like Tom's story in the Downton Abbey movie, and with the rest I was just neutral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I watch RoS again, I'll like it hetter. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do so.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts