My Love of Frozen II

My Love of Frozen II

Okay, I know Frozen II isn't a perfect film. I admit it has its issues. Kristoff shouldn't have been sidelined like he was. The worldbuilding and storyline needed a little help. "Unmeltable Me" and "Get This Right" should have been included in the movie (if you haven't heard them, I've included links to listen to them on YouTube.)

It's not a perfect movie. And yet, when I saw for the first time, I connected to it deeply, and that feeling has only grown since. I'll admit, I'm a big Frozen fan, but I still went into this movie with doubts, wondering if they would ruin one of my favorite Disney movies. Personally, I don't think so.

One of the reasons I love this movie so much is because it has really helped me during these difficult times. Just like me, Elsa and Anna are struggling with big changes over the course of the movie. Much of the movie and songs deal with that. Having gone through similar life changing events, I really connected to this film.

Let's start with the music. I adore the music. There are a few deleted songs that I think would have been better, as I mentioned. But other than that, it's amazing.

In the opening number, I love the juxtaposition between the way the characters are hoping things never change even as changes are shown all around them. Even though they know things won't last forever, they're doing their best to hold onto the good things.


I especially resonant with Elsa's little part in the bridge.

"Is something coming? I'm not sure I want things to change at all
These days are precious, can't let them slip away
I can't freeze this moment, but I can still go out and seize this day."

I've always struggled with change in my life. From small things like the arrangement of a room to new places and situations. But it was a great reminder not to worry about change and instead focus on making the most of the days we've been given.

I'll fast forward a bit in the soundtrack. "When I Am Older" doesn't quite fit (which is why "Unmeltable Me" is better) and "Lost in the Woods" is kind of cheesy, but I love it. It's just nice that Kristoff finally got a song. Beware anyone who gets lost in the woods with me one day.

"Into the Unknown" was their big hype song for this movie. They wanted it to be next "Let It Go". Sure, it's a great song. But to me, the real stand-out on this soundtrack is "Show Yourself". The first time I heard this song, it gave me chills.

It's such a powerful song and moment in the movie. Elsa has finally come to the end of the arc she started in the first movie and is stepping fully into her power and herself. Idina Menzel's amazing vocals make the song even better. I admit, I teared up a bit during this scene.


Elsa has been my spirit animal since the first movie. We're both introverted and shy. Seeing this moment made me so proud of her, even though she's only an animated character.

Then we come to the song that really came to mind during this whole pandemic thing. "The Next Right Thing". Oh, it hurts me. Even listening to it now makes me want to cry. (Believe me, I was almost sobbing in the theater.)

It's a song about being in the dark, weighed down by grief and pain. And still, in spite of all that, getting up and choosing to do the next right thing. During the hard parts of the pandemic and lock-downs, this song often came to mind.

"I won't look too far ahead
It's too much for me to take
But break it down to this next breath, this next step
This next choice is one that I can make."


It's really a shining moment in the film for Anna too. She often falls second to Elsa, but I think this story is kind of hers and she needed more screen time. In this moment, Anna steps up to be the queen she needs to be, doing what's right even though the world is against her.

I know it might seem silly to write so much meaning into a simple animated kid's film, but there will always be seemingly little things that really help us in hard times. God can work in many ways, even in ways we might not think, to bring us encouragement and help.

So there you have it. My far too many word ramble on about Frozen II. If you made it this far, you get a cookie. Shaped like a snowflake, of course.


Did you like Frozen II? What's a movie that helped you through something tough? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. I've never loved Frozen but watching this one made me like the first one more . I felt like they wee trying too hard in some ways. But, I'm glad that I saw it because Show Yourself was gorgeous. I cried, I can't deny it. And Do The Next Right thing is an incredible song, as well! Those were the masterful moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think they were trying a bit too hard to be a great movie. But it has some great stuff in it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts