August 2020 Recap

August 2020 Recap

We're heading into the last quarter of 2020. This month was super busy for me, but mostly in a good way. I've been in a bit of a negative head-space lately, but I will try to focus on the good stuff that happened this month.

What I Did

• I got to Poiema, a Christian young adult retreat, at the beginning of August. It was in the mountains of Virginia and I had such a good time. It was so nice to get away from masks, rules, and all the negativity of the world. It was refreshing mentally and spiritually.





• Afterwords my family got to spend the weekend at a cabin a friend let us borrow. We got to eat out for the first time in months, get coffee, go to Michaels, all that fun stuff.



• My birthday was Sunday, and it was great. I still can't believe I'm 23, but here we are.

• I've been behind keeping up with my bullet journal. I think in October I might go for a super simple theme for a bit of a break on heavy duty drawing.

• Got to go to B.I.G. again for the first time since the pandemic started. It was so nice and I got way more books than I should have. But I got a whole stack for $22, so I can't complain.

Read

The Kingdom of Back- Marie Lu (4 stars)

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Hostile Takeovers- Tom Talor (4 stars)

Howl's Moving Castle- Diana Wynne Jones (5 stars)

The Isles- Sara Francis (3 stars)

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes- Suzanne Collins (4 stars)

Mere Christianity- C. S. Lewis (5 stars)

Ms. Marvel Vol. 3: Crushed- G. Willow Wilson (5 stars)

Ms. Marvel Vol. 4: Last Days- G. Willow Wilson (5 stars)

Ms. Marvel Vol. 5: Super Famous- G. Willow Wilson (5 stars)

Watched

Work It (funny, but inconsistent)

Feel the Beat (super cute and has Sofia Carson!)

Batman Forever (I made it through, which I can't always with Batman movies)

The Outsiders (an interesting film with a lot of young stars)

Jumanji: The Next Level (better than I thought it would be, a decent sequel)

The Current War (not super historically accurate)

Writing

I wanted to finish edits on Horsemen and Hollows this month, which I didn't quite get to. If I hadn't gone on vacation and actually had time and focus to edit more, I probably could have. But I did edit almost every day this month, for an hour when possible, so I'm happy with it.

On the Blog

• My most popular post was Why You Should Watch Old Movies, which I enjoyed writing, so I'm glad you guys liked it too. My favorite post was my TV show/book recommendation post.

• I've been working on a side project which I'll announce next month. I'm very excited about it, so stay tuned for that!

• I hit 200 Instagram followers! I plan to do a giveaway this week or next to celebrate, so go ahead and follow me there if you'd like to participate!

Art

I still didn't get to a lot of art this month, but I did more than last. First up we have this colorful abstract piece inspired by an art video I saw. Looking at it makes me happy.

Then I decided to customize my sketchbook cover. It came out so cute! I love it.

September Thoughts

• I will finish H&H edits and send it to my sister so she can tell me how to make it more scary. Because I highly doubt it's even a tiny bit frightening right now. And, you know, any other parts that need help.

• I need to figure out what I'm writing for NaNoWriMo. At the moment, I have no idea what I'm writing. Help.

• Hopefully I can get more creative things, like reading and art, done. Or just watching things. I feel like I haven't felt really at ease in my schedule since work restarted.

How was your August? Did you get to go on vacation this summer? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

How to Write a Character Arc in a Series

Basic Worldbuilding for Beginners

Comments

  1. Aww I'm so glad you could get out and do all that fun stuff!!! AND HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! That's exciting!!! :D <3 Ahh Mere Christianity is such a good book! And I love your sketchbook cover. ^-^ My August was p crazy and tbh I didn't get a lot done, but I did listen to quite a bit of music, which was nice. :D We've gone on a few camping trips, and I got to fly down to TX and visit a friend, so that was lovely. :D I can't wait for fall this year, I'm so excited that it's September. (: I hope you have a wonderful September, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So happy you got to see your friend. It's great to do that.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got to get out. I'm looking forward to that in October. I've been feeling the negative head space too.
    Happy birthday!
    Those art pieces are really cool!!!


    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great you've got plans for October. And thank you so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts