Popular Books I Didn't Like

Popular Books I Didn't Like

Today I am here to spark controversy with a list of popular books (probably mostly YA) that just didn't cut it for me. It might have been plot, characters, or it just wasn't something I was interested in. Prepare to be triggered!



The Fault in Our Stars

Yes, I eventually caved and gave into the pressure of reading this classic YA novel. I deeply regret it and have sworn off John Green since. It was so hopeless, and it depressed me. 


Red Queen

Why did I read all four or five books in this series? I'm still not sure. It made me so made. I didn't like Mare, it felt like a big YA dystopian mish-mish, and there was so much of it. The books just kept getting bigger.


Frankenstein

For such a classic book, I thought it would be more interest. Maybe because I went into it expecting more of a scary book and less of a deeper book about humanity. I've thought about re-reading it, but I'm not sure. (Also, Frankenstein is a wuss. He makes a thing, it comes to life like he intended, and he faints.)


Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Another classic not nearly as good as I thought it would be. It can be hit and miss. This one was scary, but I had a hard time following the story, and there was so much other stuff going on, it took away from the scary part.


Ink and Bone

I don't remember much about this book, other than that it had a major gay couple and I didn't like it. So I never continued the series. 'Nuff said.


Scythe

I did like the concept behind this one. But it didn't work for me personally. It gave me nightmares about having to kill my own family. I've never had a book effect me that way before, so I decided I'd better not read any more.


The Belles

Again, it had an intriguing concept, but I didn't like the actual execution. I felt like it was shallow and while it had good thoughts about what true beauty is, it kind of disturbed me. (Also, the cover kind of confuses me because the pictures is blurry, like it had low res or something.)


A Darker Shade of Magic

I've tried a couple Victoria Schwab books and none of them have worked for me. This one had some cool things, but not enough plot and some questionable content. I also didn't like one of the characters.


What popular books have you disliked? What are your thoughts on any of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Frankenstein wasn't what I was expecting at all, but I really liked it! The character Frankenstein is so lame, but the story is so thought provoking. I didn't think I would reread it, but I decided to listen to the audiobook version that Dan Stevens reads and it was so GOOD.

    Yeah, I don't think I'd like the others you listed. Best for me to avoid them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan Stevens reads the Frankenstein audiobook? I'd give it another try for that. ;) And yeah, life's too short for bad books, right?

      Delete
  2. Yeah I don't want to read The Faults In Our Stars ... Gays always ruin a book for me. I haven't read any of these, but I don't think I want to. Thanks for the post, it was helpful!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ruin books for me too. I hate that they've become so common. Glad to help!

      Delete
  3. I didn't like Red Queen, either. Mare drove me nuts. XP

    That's a bummer about Ink & Bone. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while and I was looking forward to reading it. :( I might still read it, since I've been trying to understand the people behind LGBT labels better, but I'm glad to at least not be broadsided by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mare was sooo annoying. It's been a long time since I read Ink and Bone, so it might not be as bad as I remember, but that is one thing that stuck in my mind.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts