A Desire for Good Stories

A Desire for Good Stories

There are days where I read book, or watch movies or TV shows, then sit back when it's done, feeling dissatisfied. Whether it's because I didn't full connect to the characters, or the story fell flat, or some other reason, I always find it disappointing. The question is, am I asking too much by wanting a really good story? That's what we're going to discuss today.



On those days that I sit back disappointed by what I just finished, the first thing I do is ask myself why. Sometimes, it may not have been the right fit for me. But many times it was because the story or characters fell flat for me. Occasionally, I can't even identify what was wrong with it.

I find I'm most disappointed anymore with kid's movies. I go into them with high hopes, only to have them fall short. Not that the movie wasn't fun, but it lacked the level of quality that I was hoping for. I can see several ways they could have made it better, or things that I wanted to see that didn't happen.

Some of that stems from the fact that they often take the first and most obvious path, thus making the story predictable. It's annoying to have some awesome ideas about where the story could be going and then it turns out it was the most obvious choice. Just because your target audience is young doesn't mean that you can't make a more complex story.

Is it wrong for me to want more from a story? To ask for that little bit extra that makes a story really shine? Or should I just be content with another basic story of friendship that leaves you feeling good but not thinking too much? I don't think so.

We were created to tell stories. They've been our way of communicating since the beginning. And I don't think there's anything wrong with searching for tales that are really, truly good.

People can tell a good story when they see it. That's why certain books or movies might be more talked about than others. And yet there are so many other great ones out there that get overlooked.

There are days I'm just tired of reading YA books that always bring in gay characters or are full of cursing. There are days I'm tired of reading books that end the way I guessed. There are days that I'm tired of watching movies that I enjoyed, but felt like they could have been so much more. There are days I want to swear off reading anything new and just go back to the classics that I love.

That's why we need to get out there and create our own tales that are the deep, meaningful things we're looking for. Every novel doesn't have to be another Hunger Games, because I do love a silly, or fluffy story that was just meant for enjoying. But I think people really need to consider writing better novels or movies that do more than make you money.

I know this post is a bit all over the place, but my basic point is this. I have a strong desire for really good stories, and I don't think that's a bad thing. In fact, that's more of a reason for me to write and create the novels I want to see out there for other people to find and be happy with.



What are your thoughts on this topic? What sort of things make a story stand out to you? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Why Stories Need Heart
Fiction and Escapism


Comments

  1. I completely agree and support you on this point. I've been more on the active end of this debate with Rebellious Writing. Wonderful post, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. I'm glad I'm not alone. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, good books are so important! That is one reasons I write, is to create great clean books. I also have found out that there are lots of wonderful books waiting to be found.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. That's one of the reasons I write too. That's also why I love to share clean, good books that I find with others.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts